Friday, May 13, 2005

Knee Popping Squats

When I do squats, with or without weights on my
shoulders, sometimes I can hear a slight cracking
sound from my knees upon execution. Is that normal?
Harmful? What might be causing it? What can I do with
it? (from Ren)


This is called crepitus, which is a term used to describe the noises sometimes made by movement of the joints. Knee crepitus is not all that uncommon and unless accompanied by pain or decreasing flexibility and range, isn't considered worrisome. If you spend any time around the squat machine at a gym, you will hear a lot of popping.

If pain occurs with the cracking, it can be a symptom of osteo-arthritis (bone to bone friction) or other serious knee problems. While it is a symptom of these problems, it is not an indicator. When painless, the noises are thought to come from tiny gas or air bubbles bursting around or within the joint structure.

In my own case, when I first started lifting I sounded like a pack of firecrackers when I squatted. Over the years, these noises have become less frequent and I now only hear an occassional pop. I attribute this to a strengthening of the muscle tissue and tendons surrounding the knee. However, I haven't seen anything to suggest that this should be an expected result of strength training.

If the popping concerns you, consult a physician. Some believe that painless popping can be an early indicator of a future osteo-arthritic condition.

More Info on Joint Pops and Cracks

More on Squats and Other Weight Lifting Exercises for the Legs




JP Clifford

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,
Wow, Its great to see someone offering free advice.
Maybe you can help me.
I used to be crazy about working out. (I guess I still am), but about 3 years back, I hurt my back.
The doc said it was a disk prolapse.

I tried to go back to the gym, but i hurts every time I do heavy exercises. I know I'm not probably supposed to do heavy exercises, but I don't know when I'll heal and when I'll get back in shape. I'm 24 years old, and hate not being able to go for a jog or work out.

Mark

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home